Family

Family

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Baby and His Name

I am now 37 weeks pregnant and feeling every bit as big as I ever want to.  It would be one thing if the weight were evenly distributed, but as it is, I find the constant jab to the ribs every time I sit down quite a nuisance.  Nobody ever told me that it would be excessively uncomfortable to sit up properly because the baby would lodge itself right under the ribcage.
Apart from the occasional discomfort things seem to be going well.  The baby is constantly on the move and I am feeling fairly prepared for him to come.  I have gotten all his laundry done, the crib is all set up, the car seat is in the car and we have finally chosen his name!  
The story of deciding on his name is an interesting one so I will share.  We spent the first couple months after we discovered he was a he trying a new name every week as we didn't want to spend the pregnancy calling him baby or just plain he.  Then we decided we really liked the names Benjamin and Samuel best so we went back and forth between the two for the last month or so telling ourselves that we would eventually come to an agreement.  This did not happen.  I liked Samuel just a little more than Benjamin and Michael liked Benjamin just a little more than Samuel.  We both agreed that no matter which we chose we would be exceedingly happy, because both names were great, but we still had our preferences.  On June 12th we decided that we had to make a decision by the following Saturday as his birth was getting awfully close and I was getting very frustrated at not having anything to call him.  We were to think about the names all week and then come together on Saturday the 18th to decide.  
Well, it didn't turn out exactly as we had planned.  No new revelation came to either of us and we still couldn't let go of either name easily.  At some point during the past month or so both of us have come to the other and said let's just name him whatever name the other person liked better, but this never stuck because one of us always felt guilty.  So after going over the names for about an hour and a half (meaning looking up facts about them online and talking about the pros and cons of each) we decided it had to be done.  Michael suggested we pull the name out of a hat and I had just the hat for the job.  So I wrote each name eight times on pieces of paper, folded each one very carefully and put them in the hat.  Then we decided that we would make it best out of seven since we were married on the seventh of November.  Michael began to draw the names.  He pulled out two Benjamins, then a Samuel, and finally ended it all by pulling two more Benjamins one right after the other.  So Benjamin Michael Perrone is due on July eleventh and we can't wait to see him!


This is me at 33 weeks.  I realize I am a little behind, but you can get the basic idea of what I look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment